Combining Top-Performer Incentives & a Training-Focused Virtual Event for Big Impact
How one Fortune 50 global technology brand engaged their best channel reps virtually to recognize performance and develop sales skills focused on business outcomes instead of technical features.
This channel leader faced a complex set of challenges when it came to:
- Recognizing and rewarding all top performers, while also getting creative with the budget to show the very best channel reps extra appreciation.
- Encouraging adoption and opportunity creation of their newest and most technologically advanced solutions with additional training.
- Continuing the momentum of engagement and incentives already running.
The solution? A unique and memorable live experience with a twist. Tiers tied to exclusive elements during the event encouraged participation in ongoing incentives, and the entire experience was co-funded by two sets of MDF budgets sourced by complementary partners who mutually benefit from each opportunity created and sold.
Designing an Experience to Incorporate Skills Development & Continue Achievement in Sales Incentives
The virtual experience was designed around the motivations of the partner audience who are a competitive, goal-oriented group set on achieving more. Backed by expert engagement strategy and flawless production, the event infused competition generated by the incentives and promised exclusivity with a tiered engagement structure.
Objectives related to ‘deal closure’ and ‘recorded demo performance’ helped prolong the existing in-market promotions. And cleverly incorporated training and development elements helped the channel reps gain skills in strategic selling, which aligned with the client’s goals of moving from a ‘technical sale’ to a ‘strategic sale’ geared towards a C-suite buyer.
Exclusive content and VIP guest Shark Tank Investor Daymond John amped up the virtual experience itself as top performers were granted up-close-and-personal access.
Sales Incentive Success Earned Participants Star-Studded (Virtual) Event Access
Virtual Audience Engagement Tactics
Engaging virtually came to life via an integrated approach designed to grow the experience each step of the way.
1. Gamification, Badging & Communications (Pre-Event, Live & Post-Event)
- Product Sales Tiers (Pre-Event)
- Ongoing promotion engagement for platinum, gold and silver levels who demonstrated achievement of targeted sales
- Sales Pitch/Demo Levels (Live)
- Badges for advanced, master and chief levels recognized participants’ ability to sell beyond the technical benefits up to the C-Suite; communicating the business value to be gained through the solution versus hardware
- Event Communications (Post-Event)
- A virtual event essentials kit put the brand in attendees’ hands after the live event to continue the engagement and excitement
2. Virtual Networking (Live)
- Celebrity to Participants
- Q&A with entrepreneur Daymond John set the stage for attendees to ask questions and listen to a fireside chat to receive expert insight
- Executive to Participants
- Discussions and examples from key brand executives helped show C-suite selling skills and garner feedback about tools, enablement and what partners need
3. Training/Enablement (Pre-Event & Live)
- Product Training
- Knowledge delivered direct from brand executives and subject matter experts ensured accurate, inspired dissemination of solution features and functionality
- Sales Pitch Training
- Participant demo practice and recording enabled sales engineers to get comfortable and confident in their approach; videos were crafted and sent in for judging by the celebrity guest
Our client reported improved visibility of what tools sellers need and want.
23% gain in understanding how to sell strategic outcomes
16% gain in attendees feeling equipped to influence C-suite buyers